Monday, June 20, 2011

Native Foods Cafe

This past weekend, I discovered (actually, it was my husband, DB) a "hidden gem" while on a mini vacation in Palm Springs. It's called, "Native Foods Cafe" . How weird that I had never heard of this being that it was founded in 1994. If you are a fellow vegan, you may share my frustrations in the lack of vegan restaurants. Lucky for me, Native Foods Cafe has a location in Palm Springs and Palm Desert AND is 100% Vegan. It was so delicious. It was founded by chef Tanya Petrovna. What a genius! The dishes are SO GOOD!

Being that there aren't any Native Foods Cafe restaurants where I live, I went absolutely crazy! I went a total of 5 times in 2 days between the 2 locations, even going twice a day for 2 days straight. That was all I ate! The dishes include tempeh, seitan, and quinoa. What I like about Native Foods was that it didn't emphasize on "soy". The dishes were eclectic and varied. Below are only some of the many dishes that I happily consumed at Native Foods.


For starters we had, Sweet Potato Taquitos: Crispy corn tortillas filled with coconut mashed sweet potatoes

My favorite: Baja Surf Tacos: A "fish taco". Crispy battered Tempeh, homemade surfer sauce, and grilled soft corn tortillas

The Soul Bowl: native "chicken", red beans, rice, steamed vegetables, and cornbread. The cornbread was soft and moist! 

The Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger: Seitan, "cheddar", caramalized onions, "bacon" and other sauces...

Just only one of the many desserts I tried. PB & J "Cheesecake".

The Peanut Butter Parfait

I loved their watermelon fresca drink, the regular cheesecake, and the chocolate love pie (all not pictured). DB, who is a MEAT eater, admitted that he was very impressed with Native Foods. Native Foods, great for vegans and non-vegans! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment